½ cup unsweetened applesauce
1 large egg
2 tsp vanilla
1 cup fresh spinach, packed
¼ cup sugar
2 tbsp vegetable oil
¾ cup whole wheat pastry flour
¾ cup white flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp salt
1. Preheat oven to 350◦ and grease muffin tins
2. Put the first six ingredients (applesauce, egg, vanilla, spinach, sugar and oil) in a blender or food processor and blend. Pour the mixture into a large mixing bowl.
3. Combine the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon) in a smaller mixing bowl.
4. Add the wet spinach mixture to the dry ingredients.
5. Slowly mix the dry ingredients into the wet until combined. You can use a spoon or spatula. The mixture will be very dense! You could add a splash of milk to loosen it up, but the mixture should resemble a thick cookie dough. It won’t pour easily.
6. Scoop the batter into the greased muffin tins.
7. Bake for 12 minutes for mini-muffins, or 17 minutes for regular-size muffins.
Note: Feel free to add in nuts, dried fruit, or your favorite spices.
Recipe adapted from http://www.mamasaywhat.com/spinach-muffins-recipe/