We’ve got a yummy muffin recipe for you that will help you clear out the fridge. Use up your apples, applesauce, carrots, raisins, milk and eggs — all in one shot!
Now here’s an apple, carrot and raisin muffin that is as nutritious as it is delicious. Want to make a double batch? Or more? We’ve included a handy conversion chart to help you out.
Apple, Carrot and Raisin Muffins
(Adapted from the Robin Hood recipe: https://www.robinhood.ca/En/Recipes/Apple-Carrot-Raisin-Whole-Wheat-Muffins)
|Ingredients||12||24 muffins||48 muffins|
|Whole-wheat flour||500 g (2 c.)||1 kg (4 c.)||1.5 kg (6 c.)|
|Sugar||60 g (¼ c.)||120 g (½ c.)||180 g (¾ c.)|
|Baking soda||10 g (2 tsp.)||25 g (1½ tbsp.)||40 g (2 tbsp. + 2 tsp.)|
|Ground cinnamon (optional)||15 g (1 tbsp.)||20 g (1 tbsp. + 1 tsp.)||30 g (2 tbsp.)|
|Salt||2 g (1/2 tsp.)||5 g (1 tsp.)||5|
|Applesauce cup, 104 g (any flavour)*||1 (104 g)||2 (208 g)||3 (312 g)|
|Peeled and shredded apples**||500 g (2 c.) – about 3 medium||1 Kg (4 c.) – about 6 medium||1.5 Kg (6 c.) – about 9 medium|
|Grated carrots||125 g (½ c.)||250 g (1 c.)||375 g (1½ c.)|
|Raisins||125 g (½ c.)||250 g (1 c.)||375 g (1½ c.)|
|Vegetable oil||125 g (½ c.)||250 g (1 c.)||375 g (1½ c.)|
|Milk||60 g (¼ c.)||125 g (½ c.)||180 g (¾ c.)|
|Vanilla extract||10 g (2 tsp.)||15 g (1 tbsp.)||20 g (1 tbsp. + 1 tsp.)|
|Eggs, lightly beaten||2||4||6|
- Heat oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease 12 muffin cups or line with paper baking cups (based on the number of servings you are making).
- Combine flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon (if using) and salt in a large bowl.
- Add the applesauce, apples, carrots and raisins. Mix well. Add oil, milk, vanilla and eggs. Stir just until moistened.
- Fill prepared muffin cups ¾ full.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. Immediately remove from pans. Cool and serve!
*If you don’t have individual applesauce cups on hand, you can use any other homemade or store-bought fruit compote.
**Keep your apple peels and make chips out of them! Check out this super-easy recipe to add a bit of crispy deliciousness to your next breakfast: https://www.vivai.ca/en/blog/apple-peel-chips/.