A sneak peek at some of the healthy, varied recipes prepared by more than 3,000 breakfast programs across the country, all of which meet the recommendations of Canada’s Food Guide.
H. Gray & Son joining forces with BCC to fight food insecurity in children
Breakfast Club of Canada is excited to welcome a new partner! L.H. Gray & Son Ltd. has decided to align with a national cause that is directly linked to their mission of good nutrition is available to every Canadian. This partnership will help ensure a growing number of students receive a healthy meal before each school day.
A $150 000 contribution has been made to the Club through their 3 main business units – L. H. Gray & Son, EggSolutions and EggSolutions-Vanderpol’s Eggs – which will support increased demand for breakfast programs across Canada. As a result of COVID-19, Breakfast Club of Canada has seen increased attendance at breakfast programs of at least 30 percent. “Funds from L.H. Gray & Son Ltd will help us ensure that children do not start their school day hungry. This partnership will be incredibly impactful in helping Breakfast Club of Canada address the issue of food insecurity here in Canada.” explains Stephanie Ashton-Smith, Director of Corporate Partnerships at Breakfast Club of Canada.
A great mission alignment
Created as Gray Ridge Egg Farms in 1934 in Ridgetown, Ontario, the local Ontario egg grader has evolved into L.H. Gray & Son, a major player in Canada’s egg industry, known for focusing on eco-sustainability and community engagement. In Ontario, their eggs are sold under the Gray Ridge and Conestoga Farms brands. Over the last 25 years, L.H. Gray & Son (LHG) has taken their commitment to local beyond Ontario, working with local egg farmers in B.C and Alberta to bring local eggs to Western Canada under the Golden Valley, Rabbit River and Sparks Eggs brands. LHG has also moved beyond grocery stores into foodservice and food ingredient markets across Canada and around the world. “Eggs are natural and nutritious, and one of the most versatile foods available,” says Mike Walsh, President at LHG. “Children are literally our future and too many Canadian children aren’t getting the complete nutrition they need. No child should be disadvantaged in a country as advantaged as ours.”
Like LHG, BCC operates locally, in neighbourhoods across Canada, connecting people around a common cause. Said Ashton-Smith “There is great mission alignment between BCC and L.H. Gray & Son, since eggs are known to be an excellent source of protein and a great way to start one’s day!” The funds provided will be instrumental in helping the Club reach the increased number of Canadian children facing food insecurity.
To celebrate this new partnership, L.H. Gray & Son Ltd. offered to share their recipe of the Game-Changer Egg Muffins, perfect to fill up children lunch boxes before they start their day!!
Game-Changer Egg Muffins
Ingredients for 12 muffins
- 1 cup broccoli, cut into small florets
- 1 cup red pepper, diced
- 1 cup yellow pepper, diced
- ½ sweet onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 9 Farms Free Run Omega-3 Eggs, whisked
- ½ cup Parmigiano Reggiano, grated
- ¼ cup whole milk
- ½ tsp salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil (grease if using foil).
- In a large bowl, toss together the broccoli, red pepper, yellow pepper, minced garlic, and olive oil.
- Arrange the vegetables in a single layer on the baking sheet. Roast in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes, until the edges of the broccoli are browned.
- Line 12 muffin cups with silicone or parchment muffin liners.
- When the veggies are done, remove from oven but keep oven on. Divide vegetable mixture between the 12 muffin cups.
- Whisk together eggs, milk, cheese, salt and pepper. Pour the egg mixture over the veggies and bake for 15-20 minutes until the eggs are set.
Help Breakfast Club of Canada and our partners make a difference in the lives of even more children. Give today!
For more delicious recipes, click here!