by LAU À LA BOUFFE
BSc Nutrition // ITHQ DVS CUISINE
A tasty dessert perfect for fall, this loaf is loaded with fibre and sweetened with maple syrup.
1 loaf (10 slices)
Preparation: 10–15 minutes
Cooking Time: 50 minutes
Total: Approximately 1 hour
- 2 grated apples*
- ⅓ c. (75 mL) maple syrup
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- ½ c. (125 mL) neutral oil (canola, etc.)
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla extract
- 2 c. (500 mL) whole wheat flour
- 1½ tbsp (15 ml) baking powder
- ½ tsp (2.5 mL) baking soda
- ½ tsp (2.5 mL) salt
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cinnamon
- ½ tsp (2.5 mL) ground ginger
- ¼ tsp (1.25 mL) nutmeg
- ¼ cup (60 mL) chopped walnuts**
*You can also garnish the top of the loaf with additional apple slices before baking.
**Optional if nut allergies are a concern.
- Preheat the oven to 350oF (180oC) and prepare a loaf pan.
- Combine the wet ingredients (apples, syrup, eggs, oil and vanilla) in a bowl and mix well.
- Add the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices) to the wet, mixing until just combined.
- Spread the batter evenly in the prepared pan.
- Sprinkle the nuts over the batter.
- Bake for 45 to 55 minutes.
- Leave to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a rack to cool completely.
Nutrition information for one serving.
- 234 calories
- 14 g fat
- 22 g carbohydrate (4 g fibre)
- 5 g protein
TIPS FROM LAU
For a fancier twist, whip up a little maple glaze: Mix 1 c. icing sugar with 1 tbsp maple syrup and 2 tsp milk of choice. Drizzle over the top of the cooled loaf.