by LAU À LA BOUFFE
BSc Nutrition // ITHQ DVS CUISINE
A classic cookie with a colourful, flavourful twist.
Preparation: 1 hour and 30 minutes
Baking: 12 minutes per sheet
Total: Approximately 2 hours
- ¼ c. (100 g) salted butter*
- ½ c. (100 g) white sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- ¾ c. + 1 tbsp (110 g) bread flour
- 2½ tbsp (15 g) matcha powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground ginger
- ¾ c. (105 g) almond flour (ground almonds)
- 2 tsp (8 g) baking powder
* If you use unsalted butter, add ¼ tsp (1 mL) of salt to the recipe in step 1.
There’s no need to preheat the oven right away. Your cookie dough will have to be refrigerated for an hour before baking.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until creamy.
- Gradually beat in the egg yolks, one after the other.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix until you have a smooth, homogeneous dough.
- With a rolling pin, roll out your dough between two sheets of parchment paper to flatten (it should be about 0.5” or 1.5 cm thick when you’re done). Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 325°F (165°C).
- Cut out your shortbread with a cookie cutter and place on a baking sheet. Repeat the process until the dough is used up.
- Bake for 12 minutes on the bottom rack of the oven.
- 81 calories
- 5 g fat
- 8 g carbohydrates (0 g fibre)
- 1 g protein
TIPS FROM LAU
If your cookies are crumbly and melt in your mouth, they’re a success. That is how shortbread should be. This recipe can also be used for pie crust or as a base for your favourite squares. The possibilities abound!