Recipe by Anick Lamothe – Une mère poule un peu dingue
The same rich, creamy taste of the traditional holiday beverage and easy to make at home!
Yield: 5 cups (1.25 L)| Preparation time: 15 minutes | Chilling time: 24 hours or longer
- 1 c. (250 mL) raw cashews
- 4 c. (1 L) water
- 1 Tbsp. (15 mL) flaxseed meal
- 1 Tbsp. (15 mL) milled white chia seeds
- 4 pitted Medjool dates
- Maple syrup or honey* to taste
- 1 tsp. (5 mL) vanilla
- ½ tsp. (2.5 mL) cinnamon
- ½ tsp. (2.5 mL) freshly grated nutmeg
- ½ tsp. (2.5 mL) ground cloves
- ½ tsp. (2.5 mL) ground turmeric, or to taste
*Stick with maple for a truly vegan treat!
- The night before, place the cashews and water in a bowl and soak in the refrigerator overnight.
- Discard the water the next day. Place the softened cashews in a blender with fresh water and the flaxseed, chia seeds, dates, syrup or honey, and spices. Blend for several minutes or until silky smooth. For a brighter colour, add more turmeric.