Fig And Cranberry Energy Bites
(Photo : Toa Heftiba sur Unsplash)
Prep time: 25 min.
What you’ll need:
- 2 cookie sheets
- 2 sheets of parchment paper
- Measuring cup kit
- 2 medium saucepans
- 1 wooden spoon
- 1 medium bowl
- 1 spatula
- 1 chef’s knife
- 1 cutting board
- For the pumpkin seed nougat:
- 1 cup (250 mL) pumpkin seeds
- ¼ cup (60 mL) white granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) water
For the energy bites:
- 5 cups (1250 mL) dried figs, small diced
- 1¼ cup (310 mL) dried apricots, small diced
- 1 cup (250 mL) dried cherries, small diced
- 1 cup (250 mL) raisins
- 1 cup (250 mL) dried cranberries, coarsely chopped
- ½ cup (125 mL) apple juice
- 1 cup (250 mL) sunflower butter
- 1 1/3 cup (250 m) cocoa powder
- ¼ cup (60 mL) maple syrup
- Coarsely chop pumpkin seeds. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the sugar and water and cook until a light caramel forms. Pour in pumpkin seeds and stir vigorously until seeds are covered. Set aside pumpkin seed nougat.
- In a medium saucepan, rehydrate the dried fruit pieces by heating them in the apple juice for approximately 10 minutes, until a paste forms.
- Coarsely chop pumpkin seed nougat.
- Put all ingredients plus 1 cup of the cocoa powder in a medium bowl and knead until dough is even. Set aside in freezer for about 10 minutes.
- Pour the remaining cocoa powder onto a cookie sheet.
- Roll mixture and shape into little balls. Place on cookie sheet. Roll balls in cocoa powder until they are evenly covered.
CHEF’S TIP: Shaping the balls is easier if you use single-use gloves. Or, you can put the mixture in the fridge or freezer if it becomes too sticky.
NUTRITIONIST’S TIP: Energy bites are an excellent snack and full of great nutrients! Use your imagination: use different fruits or seeds, add chia or hemp seeds, nuts or even a variety of spices or flavours! Delicious with a glass of soy milk!
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!