No-Bake Baked Beans
Check out this quick and easy recipe for a filling, protein-packed breakfast this spring! Guaranteed to satisfy everyone at the table.
Yield: About 4 servings
- 2 tbsp. (30 ml) margarine or vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped (about 1 c./250 ml)
- 2 medium garlic cloves, finely chopped (about 2 tsp./10 ml)
- 2 cans (28 oz./1.1 L) white kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ c. ketchup
- 2 tbsp. (30 ml) light brown sugar
- 2 tsp. (10 ml) Worcestershire sauce or low-sodium soy sauce
- ½ c. water
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the margarine or vegetable oil in a large non-stick skillet at medium heat. Add the onions and garlic. Cook for about 5 minutes, until onions are soft.
- Add all the other ingredients, stirring to combine.
- Simmer for about 5 minutes, until liquid is reduced. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Enjoy!
Serve with whole grain bread and fruit for a complete breakfast. For a little extra protein, add an egg!
Adapted from: https://www.seriouseats.com/quick-morning-beans-and-fried-eggs-recipe