Prep time: 30 min
Cook time: 25 min
What you’ll need:
- 1 muffin pan for baking
- 12 paper muffin cups
- 1 measuring cup kit
- 1 measuring spoon kit
- 1 large bowl
- 1 medium bowl
- 1 small bowl
- 1 rubber spatula
- 1 whisk
- ½ cup (125 mL) wheat bran
- 1½ cups (375 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp (10 mL) baking powder
- 3/4 cup (180 mL) peach yogurt
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking soda
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 egg
- ½ cup (125 mL) brown sugar
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) vegetable oil
- ¼ cup (60 mL) unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) brown sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) large flake oats (or quick-cooking oats)
- Preheat oven to 180 °C (350 °F). Place muffin cups in a 12-muffin tin.
- In a large bowl, mix wheat bran, flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix yogurt and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk egg, brown sugar, oil and apple sauce. Blend into dry ingredients using a spatula and alternate with yogurt mix. Add blueberries and mix together gently. Set aside while preparing crunchy topping.
- In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar, melted butter and oats.
- Divide the muffin batter into the 12 muffin cups and sprinkle oat topping on top. Cook in oven for 20 to 25 minutes until muffins are lightly golden and a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Let cool and serve.
For moister muffins, do not mix too strenuously. Replace peach yogurt with one of your favourite yogurt flavours!
NUTRITIONIST’S TIP: These muffins are an excellent snack because they contain protein and carbohydrates to give your brain energy. Apple sauce reduces the sugar in the recipe and wheat bran adds fibre. Store-bought has nothing over these muffins!