Comfort Soup Mix (Perfect for Gift Giving)
Recipe by Anick Lamothe – Une mère poule un peu dingue
It may be better to give than to receive — but not necessarily when it comes to this hearty and filling soup.
Yield: 6 to 8 jars | Preparation time: 15 minutes | Cooking time: 1 hour
- ½ c. (125 mL) brown lentils
- ½ c. (125 mL) dried mixed vegetable flakes
- ¼ c. (60 mL) rice
- ¼ c. (60 mL) pearl barley
- ¼ c. (60 mL) spelt
- ½ c. (125 mL) sundried tomatoes, cut in thin strips*
- ¼ c. (60 mL) vegetable bouillon powder
- 2 Tbsp. (30 mL) nutritional yeast
- 2 Tbsp. (30 mL) mixed Italian herbs
*Do not use oil-packed tomatoes for this recipe!
- 10 c. (2.5 L) water
- 1 28 oz (796 mL) diced Italian tomatoes
- Spread the lentils out evenly at the bottom of a mason jar, then continue layering with the vegetable flakes, rice, barley, spelt, dried tomatoes, bouillon powder, nutritional yeast and Italian herbs for a striped effect. Seal the jar and keep upright.
- To make the soup, pour the contents of the jar into a stock pot. Add the water and diced tomatoes, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 1 hour.