Wake up to ful medames, an Egyptian stew made from fava beans and chickpeas, spiced to perfection and served with eggs or pita bread.
8 small servings
- 19 oz (540 ml) can of fava beans (with liquid)
- 19 oz (540 ml) can of chick peas
- 1 c. (250 ml) water
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. (5 ml) salt
- 2 tbsp. (30 ml) lemon juice
- 1 tsp. (5 ml) cumin
- ½ tsp. (2.5 ml) black pepper
- 2 medium tomatoes, finely diced
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- Handful of parsley, chopped, as garnish
- 2 tbsp. (30 ml) olive oil
- Lemon wedges
- In a medium-sized pot, bring the fava beans (with liquid), chickpeas and water to a simmer over medium heat. Remove pot from heat and mash some of the beans (about ½ cup) against the side of the pot.
- Stir in the garlic, salt, lemon juice, cumin and black pepper.
- Transfer the bean mixture into one large serving dish or divide across four small dishes. Drizzle with olive oil and arrange the tomato, onion and parsley decoratively on top.
- Serve with lemon wedges.