by Noelle Martin from Motherhood and Meals
When served together, these two recipes are packed with the goodness of whole grains, veggies, fruit, healthy fats, and protein. And don’t forget to have your kids help make them!
- 2 c. (500 mL) whole wheat flour
- 1 c. (250 mL) pure pumpkin puree
- 1 c. (250 mL) milk of your choice
- 1 egg
- ⅓ (75 mL) unsweetened applesauce or alternate fruit/veggie puree
- ¼ c. (60 mL) hemp hearts
- 2 tsp. (10 mL) baking powder
- 2 tsp. (10 mL) cinnamon
- 1 tsp. (5 mL) vanilla extract
- Mix all dry ingredients together in a bowl and set aside.
- In a separate bowl mix together all wet ingredients.
- Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix together until evenly blended.
- Pour ⅓ c. portions of batter into electric or stove top fry pan on medium heat and cook on each side for 3–5 minutes until cooked through.
- Serve with your favourite pancake toppings such as yogurt, fruit, granola, sunflower seeds, slivered almonds and/or nut butter.
Peaches and Cream Smoothie
- 3 c. (750 mL) milk
- 1 c. (250 mL) frozen peaches
- ½ c. (125 mL) frozen cauliflower rice
- 1 c. (250 mL) vanilla or peach Greek yogurt
- 3 dates with the pit removed
- 2–3 ice cubes
- Blend ingredients. Place all ingredients into a high-powered blender and blend on high for 2 minutes, or until all ingredients are blended together.
- Pour into cups and enjoy!
Thank you to our collaborator for this delicious recipe!