14th annual Déjeuner des Grands de la Rive-Sud
raises $100,000 for Breakfast Club of Canada
Boucherville, February 14, 2020 – “It takes a village to raise a child”: More than 450 people from the educational, philanthropic, political and business communities in the Montérégie region of Quebec joined together on Valentine’s Day to prove the old saying right once again. Their goal: to help make sure local children have access to a nutritious breakfast every school morning. Held annually at Hôtel Mortagne in Boucherville, the event raised the tidy sum of $100,202 this year.
During the breakfast, the Club’s partners discussed various ways they could work together to do even more for the younger generation. Guests were treated to two touching presentations by students of Hubert-Perron School as well as a testimonial from Ines Badr, the site coordinator at Sainte-Claire School in Brossard. These were poignant reminders for partners of why their support for the Club, now in its 25th-anniversary year, is essential.
- The event chair was Normand Besner, General Manager of Caisse Desjardins Pierre-Boucher, and the emcee was Nadia Bilodeau. The Déjeuner des Grands is a yearly celebratory gathering attended by the Club’s local partners.
- In order to allow guests to reflect on what they are doing to make a difference in children’s lives and how the Club’s partners can collaborate, a panel discussion was held, featuring Daniel Germain (President and Founder of Breakfast Club of Canada), Judith Côté (Principal of Hubert‑Perron School) and Danielle Beaulieu (President and General Manager of Hôtel Mortagne).
- The venue and the meal were provided courtesy of Hôtel Mortagne, as they have been every year for the past 14 years, in order to maximize the impact on local children. Hotel staff are also donating their time to serve the food.
- Over the years, more than $700,000 has been raised by the Déjeuner des Grands.
- Every year, Breakfast Club of Canada relies on the tremendous support of its South Shore Committee to seek out sponsorships and sell tickets for the event. It is largely due to their energy and enthusiasm that the Déjeuner des Grands continues to be a resounding success year after year.
“Three years ago, the breakfast program at Sainte-Claire School was on the verge of shutting down. They didn’t have anyone to fill the role of site coordinator. I told myself I couldn’t let that happen. I called to set up my first morning shift as a volunteer… and I haven’t looked back since. I’m incredibly lucky to watch as students enjoy a good, healthy breakfast every morning and leave full and happy. I’ve earned their trust, and they feel comfortable confiding in me. I’ve even helped some of them deal with bullying, which allows them be more focused in the classroom.”
– Ines Badr, site coordinator, Sainte-Claire School, Brossard, Quebec; mother of three children, law student and teller at Desjardins
“In the Montérégie region, close to 3,000 lucky children in 46 schools get a nutritious breakfast every morning before they start their school day. The reason we can contribute to the well-being of so many students is because of the support we get from our partners – the people who are driving and inspiring change in their communities. On behalf of all of our kids, I thank you from the bottom of my heart!”
– Tommy Kulczyk, General Manager, Breakfast Club of Canada
“I’m so pleased to see all these people joining forces for children. As a business leader, I can say there’s nothing more rewarding than watching employees embrace our core values and make them come to life. I couldn’t be prouder of our Desjardins staff members who volunteer their time and help make the Montérégie region such a wonderful place to learn, grow and live. I hope the Club keeps up their important and life-changing work for many years to come.”
– Normand Besner, Honorary Event Chair and General manager, Caisse Desjardins Pierre-Boucher
About Breakfast Club of Canada
Founded in 1994, Breakfast Club of Canada is a charitable organization that provides funding, equipment, training and support to school breakfast programs across the country. Celebrating its 25th anniversary this year, the Club is dedicated to ensuring every child starts their day with a nutritious morning meal in a safe and secure environment. Accredited by Imagine Canada as a trustworthy charity, Breakfast Club of Canada is present in 1,809 schools from coast to coast, feeding over 243,500 children every school morning. To learn more, visit breakfastclubcanada.org or find us on social media.
– 30 –
For more information:
Communications Advisor, Public Relations
Breakfast Club of Canada
1-888-442-1217, ext. 3369