Tuck into a delicious bowl of menemen, a traditional dish of eggs scrambled in olive oil with tomato, green peppers and spices.
- 2 tbsp. (30 ml) olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 ripe tomatoes
- 3 tbsp. (45 ml) tomato paste
- Salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- ½ tsp. (2.5 ml) dried oregano
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 6 Slices of whole wheat bread
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and bell pepper and sauté until softened (about 4 to 5 minutes), stirring regularly.
- Add the tomatoes and tomato paste, and season with salt, black pepper and oregano. Cook for about 5 minutes over medium heat until tomatoes are soft but still holding their shape.
- Push the tomato and bell pepper mixture to one side of the pan. Reduce heat to medium-low and add the eggs. Cook and stir gently until the eggs are set. Stir the tomato mixture into the eggs.
- Serve immediately with slices of bread.
Adapted from https://www.themediterraneandish.com/menemen-recipe/